Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Spoken

Last Friday I ended up @ Half-Price Books, and among those I got were "Looking For God: an unexpected journey through tattoos, tofu and pronouns" by Nancy Ortberg. It's basically about taking God out of that box we attempt to place Him in our minds, and allowing Him to invade and pervade every moment of our lives.

So far, my favorite chapter is #3 - Jello. Here's some chewy stuff:

Molds are fine for Jello.
But not for people.

What is it about so much of the Christian religion that insists that people be all alike?why do i so often feel as if they have their mold and they want me to fit into it? Do we somehow feel safter when others are just like us?

Sometimes when I am giving a talk, I ask people to look quickly at the person on their left, then the person on their right. I say,"Do either of these people look anything like you?" Of course the answer is no. "Then why," I ask,"do you look to those people to try to figure out who you are supposed to be?"

But we all do it. And when we do, we compare the life of God right out of us.

Comparison is so destructive. It erodes our love for other people and causes us to shun the gifts that God has given us. Like Peter, it keeps asking,"Well, what about him? What about her?" It keeps our eyes darting around the room, sizing people up, and holding up placards with numbers on them. It robs us of our own stories and gifts from God, all because we like someone else's better.

Comparison becomes a faulty scale on which we place ourselves,waiting to see how we balance out with the people on the other side.Comparison leaves us jealous and critical and insecure. It can propel us into unhealthy competition and relentless people-pleasing. God wants us free from that.

Part of what it means to be created in the image of God is that each person has his or her story, giftedness, and calling. I cannot find mine by looking at yours. Your story may inspire me or warn me, but I should never use it to determine my own.

The gospel frees us from comparison, making it possible to admire other people's gifts and be grateful for their contributions to the Kingdom. In Christ, there is no need for Jello molds or rigid restraints. We are called to delight in the diversity that reflects the many facets of God and sheds light on what it truly means to be created in His image.




(I read that @ work)
and then as I was driving home, I was listening to my ipod function on my phone, and had gotten this song of Matt Maher's from a great friend awhile ago (thanks Jeff!), and at that time just really HEARD THE WORDS, so much so I listened to it about 6 times in a row..

LETTING GO - Matt Maher

I stand in awe of You
And everything You've done for me
You speak Your words into my life
And where You are is where I wanna be

I stand before You, Lord
Humbled by the love You give away
A widow's mite, my will and pride
It's all I have to offer anyway

I'm holding onto Your love
I'm letting go of myself
I'll say so long to everything else

I stand in awe of You
And everything You've done for me
You speak Your words into my life
And where You are is where I wanna be

I stand before You, Lord
Humbled by the love You give away
A widow's mite, my will and pride
It's all I have to offer anyway

I'm holding onto Your love
I'm letting go of myself
I'm holding onto Your love
I'm letting go of myself
I'll say so long to everything else

I just wanna be in Your arms
I just wanna be in Your arms
Moving ever closer to Your heart
To Your heart

I just wanna be in Your arms
I just wanna be in Your arms
Moving ever closer to Your heart
To Your heart

I just wanna be in Your arms
I just wanna be in Your arms
Moving ever closer to Your heart
To Your heart



Christian lyrics - LETTING GO LYRICS - MATT MAHER

No comments:

Post a Comment